Possible to execute jets lambda through application load balancer?

As AWS does support executing a Lambda function from an ALB, I thought I would try out executing one produced when deploying jets; unfortunately, to no avail.

Might I have missed something in the documentation or would this not be something that is supported at this time?

From what I could determine (thus far), it is simply that the response is not formatted how the ALB expects and thus results in a 502 with the access logs showing "LambdaInvalidResponse" where the CloudWatch logs show that it did execute successfully with a 200.

Following up on my question: it would appear that I am slightly mistaken regarding the response not being formatted how the ALB expects.

Running a test against the Lambda function using the event as sent by the ALB produces a response as the ALB expects with the exception of one detail: the statusCode is a string instead of an integer.

{
  "statusCode": "200",
  "headers": {
    "Content-Type": "application/json",
    "x-jets-base64": "no",
    "X-Runtime": "0.014171",
    "x-jets-call-count": 3,
    "x-jets-prewarm-count": 1
  },
  "body": "{\"hello\":\"john\"}",
  "isBase64Encoded": false
}

The controller is rather simple in this example.

def index
    render json: {hello: params["name"] || "world"}
  end

I’ve reproduced the results in a plain ruby Lambda with the following:

require 'json'

def lambda_handler(event:, context:)
    body = { "hello": event.dig("queryStringParameters", "name") || "world" }
    {
        "isBase64Encoded": false,
        "statusCode": "200",
        "statusDescription": "200 OK",
        "headers": {
            "Content-Type": "application/json"
        },
        "body": body.to_json
    }
end

With "statusCode": "200", a 502 is received when executing via the ALB and functions properly with "statusCode": 200.

Thanks so much for the details in this post, it helped.

Played with ELBs a little bit this morning. Though not adding official ELB support, did adjust the response for requests coming from ELBs to help for those who are manually connecting ELBs: https://github.com/tongueroo/jets/pull/242 :+1:

So think it should now be possible to execute lambda through ALBs now.

That is fantastic! Thank you.

I had intended on getting a pull request submitted after diving into the code a bit further to determine if anything else should be done. Such as the response headers being strings; I had just removed them in my build but knew that was not the proper solution.

Semi-unrelated, but will just leave this here for anyone following this topic: calls coming from the ALB will not have event["pathParameters"] (nor event["resource"]) and thus, for example, a call of /posts/:id will not have params["id"]. We are currently working around this by just parsing it from the event["path"].

1 Like